Monday, May 11, 2015

Behold the power of pho

Okay, so maybe my title is a little misleading. Pho is not really that powerful, but God can use something as simple as pho to expose our heart. And that is exactly what he did with me this evening.
You guys. Tasty food is like, one of my love languages or something. And getting takeout is a special treat for me. So, I was SUPER excited when I got to pick up some pho on my way home from spending the day in Seattle with my husband. Just us. (AND we had Chipotle for lunch. Yes, I know, the day was just full of goodness! Remember that, it's important a bit later.)
So, I have my pho, doing my little happy dance and we head to Costco to get gas. I'm sitting in the car and I see a man on the corner, holding his cardboard sign. I can't read his sign, but I know he's in need. He wouldn't be standing out there if he wasn't, right? I am watching him and I just know I'm supposed to ask him if he's hungry. And offer him my pho. My first instinct is to totally ignore that nudge. But (thankfully), the Lord is gracious and patient with me, and keeps nudging me. And reminding me of what I have been given. His best. He has never held back in how he loves me. This "nudge" is not so I feel guilty, but to remind me of the kind of love I'm called to. He does not give scraps or crumbs or leftovers to those in need, but pours lavish grace and love upon us. Holy cow. I was so floored at my selfishness. After a day so full of obvious blessing, when I have the opportunity to bless someone else, my first reaction is to grasp what I've been given so tightly in hopes of not losing it? Goodness. I'd already missed the point. I'm so glad God gives me more than one chance to get it.
By the time Alex got back in the car, I knew I wanted to give my precious pho away. Well, I knew I wanted to obey. It was still really hard. I knew it was right and good, but I was still very disappointed to miss out on having that pho. I think that might have been the point for me. I need to give more lavishly. My time, my love, my attention, my food. That man is worth my precious pho and so much more. I'm not sure when the last time this was communicated to him, but I know it was what God wanted me to remember about him. It's not always going to be easy or comfortable, but that's okay. God is bigger than my selfishness and he cares enough to keep working on me in spite of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment