Friday, March 9, 2012

Top 50 songs (or giving in to peer pressure)

I have accepted/joined in on a challenge from friends to compile a list of my top 50 all time favorite songs. I must like punishment or something, because I have NEVER been able to do this. I still feel like it's an impossible task. Even though I have my list finished. But I'm sure I've missed something. I'm not satisfied. And there is no way I can rank them. But I'm copying two of these friends and blogging about it. Because I can attempt to explain my choices. (I love reading their stories behind each song.) And I'm hoping it actual helps me blog. Because I need all the help with that I can get. So, I won't be working up to a #1, but I'll be working up to songs that I love just a little bit more than the rest. Yeah. If that makes any sense. And I'm hoping to stick it out until I make it through all 50, but I'm not making any promises. ;)

Could you be loved, Bob Marley and the Wailers

I love Bob Marley's music. It feels like summer to me. This song makes me want to drive around with my windows down and the volume up. And I can't help but move my feet when I hear it. And his lyrics carry meaning (although I don't always know/agree with the meaning, but hey). Then I went to Jamaica on a study abroad trip in college and now his music embodies that period of my life and has a permanent place in my heart. This song just happens to be my favorite of his currently.

Kerosene, Miranda Lambert

This song really speaks to me about how you can never rely on others for your happiness and how true fulfillment lies in the.....nah, not really! I just really like it.

Black and White, Three Dog Night

We had a 45 with this song on it when I was growing up and I would listen to it over and over. A 45 is a record. You know, those black circle things? This makes me feel so old. But I loved listening to this and I can still hear the static-y goodness of the record player when I think of this song. If I heard it for the first time today, I'm sure I wouldn't exactly be blown away but it's nostalgic and stands the test of time for me. Feel good stuff right here.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen

Such a classic song. I love Queen and I have lots of memories of listening to them while working up in the cannery in Alaska. Cheer in a dismal place. :) I love the story this song tells (albeit a super sad and sometimes bizarre ride) and doing my best Wayne's World impersonations in the car.

Gomer's Theme, Third Day

I love Third Day- not so much their contemporary worship stuff, but their early, Southern rock band stuff. I love the story of Hosea and Gomer, it's such a great picture of how God loves us, and I love Mac Powell's gritty voice. Third Day nailed the emotion in the story for me with this song.

1 comment:

  1. Bohemian Rhapsody is really the best song ever made by Queen!!! It is so fun to sing when you really get into it. Amanda and I are always really excited to hear this song:) Amazing!!!

    So fun, so classic. So weird, so creative. I wish our generation listened to music like this and that this was on the "hip and cool" radio stations today.

    I love you Kathy! Great music taste, short hair, random, really weird. You are just like me. Or should I say "I am just like you."

    ReplyDelete