Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thoughts that have nothing to do with children

I have been pondering something lately and I finally decided to just blog about it, since I was a teensy bit overdue for a new blog post anyways. And it has nothing to do with my kids! *Gasp*
So, you might be familiar with the type of people on facebook that seem to post things that are designed to get people to comment with nice things about them- you know, posting a picture with the caption "ugh, I'm so ugly in this!" so people will leave comments about how pretty they are etc. Man. I feel have butchered describing that, but hopefully you catch my drift. Anywho. Many people find this behavior to be annoying and I get that. But the other day, it made me stop and think because I can identify with that feeling of wanting affirmation from others. I think we all can. Or maybe not. But I very much do. It feels really good to have someone tell you something nice about yourself. And while it's not a bad thing to like hearing compliments, I don't want to forget where my identity lies and where I should ultimately be looking for my affirmation either. I feel like God has brought me really far in being satisfied in Him and who he has made me to be, but I still struggle with wanting approval from people too. As I was thinking through this, I felt like it would be really good for me when I'm feeling that longing for affirmation, that I share with someone else something I appreciate about them. (through facebook, text, email, whatever) That way God can help me take my focus off myself and hopefully help brighten someone else's day. I have failed at it a LOT already, but I'm hoping it will be a way to allow God to draw me back into relationship with him when I get so stuck on myself.

1 comment:

  1. aw that's awesome Kathy.

    And hopefully you know I think you're smart and funny and pretty.

    But regardless we are called daughters of God and their aint much better than that :)

    ReplyDelete